Thursday, May 27, 2010

It's the simple things in life

So last night Ninny and I watched American Idol and she correctly predicted the winner for the second year in a row.  Much the same as last year, I was flabbergasted and confused as to how she or anybody could choose what's his name over Adam Lambert OR how any person in their right mind could choose Lee DeWyze over Crystal Bowersox.  Ninny did.  Both years.  That got me thinking.
Ephiny, by all reasoning that I can figure thus far, is a heterosexual.  You may think you can't tell that sort of thing in an 17 month old baby and you may be right, but she is very male oriented and loves men entirely more than women, which I find odd for a baby.  I always thought that babies would be more female or "mommy" centered.  Either I'm wrong or my child is a raging heterosexual... maybe both.  Whatever makes her happy, right?  Anyway, I digress.
I start to think.  American Idol is pretty popular across the board but it's especially popular with the teeny bopper and housewife crowd.  Sadly, the teeny bopper and housewife crowd tend to root for the underdog and almost always vote for the boy if given a choice.
Personally, I think it's to overcompensate for their latent homosexual fantasies regarding the effervescent Crystal Bowersox.  I know I had them (not so latently) and if you watched Ellen closely this season, I think she did too... just sayin'.
My point being:
Dear American Idol Viewing Public,
     When will you learn to have good taste?  Why would the recording studios leave such important decisions up to an obviously underqualified viewing public?  When will you figure out how to judge the "IT" factor in a musician?  Don't get me wrong, Lee is a great kid, a good singer and very humble but damnit, Crystal has "Rock Star Quality" and you just can't buy that, you can't teach it and you sure as hell can't force it.  Sorry to say it but Lee is bound to be another David what's his name (not Archuletta, the other one), forgotten two years down the road.  Watch Crystal... that girl is going to blossom with or without the victory.  Much like Adam Lambert, she won't need it to flourish if she takes the right steps and makes the right moves.  She never compromised herself, her vision, or her music and that is worth it's weight in solid 24k gold.
Keep the faith Crystal, sign with a good label, make an album and I'll be among the first in line to buy it.  I won't even pirate it off of the internet, I'll let it be among the 6 Cds that I own.  I believe and you should too.

Also of note, Ninny the rock star baby, somehow conned me into buying her a singing, light flashing, microphone at Wal-Mart today.  Possibly because she picked it up while we were looking at bike tire tubes and started singing into it immediately and didn't want to let it go even long enough for it to be scanned.  Luckily for her (and quite possibly me) it was less than $5.
Take care and I hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far!



No comments:

Post a Comment